To contain measles outbreak (DOH, CHO to conduct catch-up immunization)
To contain measles outbreak (DOH, CHO to conduct catch-up immunization) PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 14 February 2018 16:54

The City Health Office (CHO) will undertake a catch-up immunization effort for children between 6 months to 59 months as part of its response to declared measles outbreak in the City.

According to CHO OIC Dr. Dulce Miravite, the CHO, in partnership with the Department of Health (DOH), will spearhead immunization catch-up efforts in barangays and barangay health centers from February 19 to March 22 as part of health office’s effort to stem the tide of measles cases reported, which to date is at 101.

“Anda kita na communities, na district health centers, and na maga barangays gayot. Our eligibile population are those who are 9 months to 59 months, but since we are in outbreak phase, abaha kita el di aton eligible population to 6 months to 59 months,” Miravite said.

Based on CHO data, the city registered 101 suspected measles-rubella cases in different hospitals from January 1 to February 1. This, Miravite reported, is a 1,343% increase compared to the 7 cases documented in the same period last year.

With this development, Mayor Beng Climaco declared a measles outbreak in Zamboanga City, directing the CHO to “institute, undertake and implement preventive and proactive measures to effectively address” the outbreak.

Greatly affected by the measles outbreak are the 1 year and below, and the 1-10 age groups. Also affected are the 11-20, 21-30, and 31-40 age groups. Of the total cases, around 65% reported a lack or an unknown immunization status.

Miravite said immunization is the way to prevent measles, and that the measles vaccination is part of the nation’s extended program on immunization.

Aside from the immunization catch-up, the CHO will also be intensifying its health teaching activities to educate the public on the importance of immunization.